Our Heat Moldable is so easy to use! Heat Moldable is available in 2 different variations – “Sew-In” (Heat Moldable 490) and “Double Sided Fusible” (Heat Moldable 491).
This stiffener product allows you to create a stiff project and mold it as desired. The great thing about Heat Moldable, is that it can be reheated and re-molded!
Here are the guidelines to creating beautiful projects with Heat Moldable Stiffener:
1. Cutting edge: scissors with serrated edges hold the stiffener in place rather than slipping away from the blades. Use scissors like Karen Kay Buckley’s 7 1/2″ Perfect Scissors.
2. Fusing: Heat Moldable 491 has fusible adhesive applied to both sides of the sheet. Be sure to protect your ironing surface as well as your iron with parchment paper or a Teflon sheet. You will be glad you did!
3. Sewing: Use a Schmetz Microtex Sharp Size 90 needle. This narrow needle is shaped to allow for precise piercing of thicker materials – just what you need for Heat Moldable.
4. Marking: Use a pencil to mark designs directly on stiffener.
5. Finishing touch: Bind your edges (by machine), couch the edges, or leave them “white” and color them with a permanent marker.
6. Molding: Moldable Stiffener is hard and becomes soft and pliable when heated; it can be molded over a form or shaped by hand. It can also be re-shaped by heating again. Set your iron on Cotton and spray the project with a little water. Press the project until it is evenly heated, drape over a form (example: bowl), then let cool. When your creation is fully cooled, it will be stiff again.